Late Starts, Cancellations or Early Dismissals
The number one concern for all of the administration and staff at Nevis ISD 308 is the safety of your children. We believe that a well thought out plan will help us to better care for them in case of an emergency. Although this article is primarily concerned with inclement weather, these same procedures would be applicable to other emergency situations.
What Factors Are Considered When Making The Decision To Close Schools? In deciding whether children will be safe, we look at the following factors:
- Visibility and current/expected wind conditions
- Road conditions (current, anticipated, and the status of city and county road crews)
- The time snow starts and the current/expected amount
- Alert level from National Weather Service
- Temperature and wind-chill
- Expected duration of the storm
Who makes the decision to close school? The decision to close school is made by the Superintendent and the Director of Transportation. We communicate with other school districts, law enforcement, people who are responsible for clearing and maintaining roads, and other individuals that are on the roads. We will try to make the decision by 6:00 AM, or at least one hour prior to dismissing early, to allow time for bus drivers to be prepared and for families to have time to make alternative plans.
You have the right to keep your children at home if you feel the weather is too dangerous to send your children to school. If you feel you don’t want your child to drive due to their inexperience with winter driving conditions, then call the school and let them know your child is riding the bus today.
- Please send children to school dressed properly for the winter conditions. If a bus has mechanical problems, slips off the road, or is involved in an accident, there is a possibility that heat may be lost on the bus. Having proper clothing could make a big difference. Please talk with your student about dressing properly, especially 7-12 students who feel that a “hoodie” is all they need to wear in the wintertime because they are “just walking to the bus.”
- Make a plan with your child about what to do if the bus is delayed or doesn't show up at the bus stop. This situation could arise due to a bus that gets stuck, has mechanical problems, or because your student is a few minutes late getting to the bus stop. In some cases we may need to send another bus. We need your cooperation and communication as well, so if a bus doesn't show up and is more than 15 minutes late; please contact Lynne Gustafson at 652-3500 ext 100 in the morning. Please remember that a bus may be 5-10 minutes early or late simply due to the changes in who happens to ride on that particular day or road conditions.
Procedure followed if there is no school or a late start:
We will make try to make the decision by 6:00 AM to allow time for bus drivers to be prepared and for families to have time to make alternative plans.
- How will we communicate with our parents? We realize that we must have multiple ways of contacting our parents and community when inclement conditions cause us to make changes to our schedule. Here is our communication plan:
- The school district will send out a notice on our School Reach system to your primary phone.
- The message will be posted on the District Website at www.nevis.k12.mn.us
- Television stations: WCCO Channel 4 & 12, KSTP and KSAX Channel 5, KARE 11, KMSP TV 9, KVLY/KXJB
- Radio Stations: KPRM (870 AM, KDKK 97.5 FM), KKBJ (103), WBJI (98.3), KB101, KZY (95.5), KBUN (1450 AM), KDKK (92.5 FM)
- Is everything cancelled when school is closed? Yes--All School Age Care, ECFE, community education activities, and school activities/athletics are canceled when school is canceled or dismissed early.
Procedure followed if school is dismissed early: If weather, road conditions, or other conditions create the necessity for dismissing school early, we try to make the decision at least one hour prior to dismissing early, to allow time for bus drivers to be prepared and for families to have time to make alternative plans. The official announcement will be sent out in the same manner as a school closing or late start.
- All afternoon School Age Care, community education activities, and school activities/athletics are canceled when school is dismissed early.
What do you need to do as a parent/guardian?
- Have a plan for “no school” days due to emergency closing and for early dismissals
- Make sure that your emergency information is up-to-date with the school.
- Send your student to school dressed properly for winter weather
- Have a plan with your child if they miss the bus or the bus is late.
When will we make up days that are missed due to inclement weather? The school has put into place our Electronic Learning Day (E-Day) plan allowing up to five days to be made up online in coordination with your child’s teachers. Please see your teacher’s website for E-Day lessons when school is not in session.