School Board Policy Manual
Nevis Public Schools
Independent School District 308
School Board Policy 712
712 VIDEO SURVEILLANCE OTHER THAN ON BUSES
Maintaining the health, welfare, and safety of students, staff, and visitors while on school district property and the protection of school district property are important functions of the school district. The behavior of individuals who come on to school property is a significant factor in maintaining order and discipline and protecting students, staff, visitors, and school district property. The school board recognizes the value of video/electronic surveillance systems in monitoring activity on school property in furtherance of protecting the health, welfare, and safety of students, staff, visitors, and school district property.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
1. School district buildings and grounds may be equipped with video cameras.
2. Video surveillance may occur in any school district building or on any school district property.
3. Video surveillance will normally not be used in bathrooms or locker rooms, although these areas may be placed under surveillance by individuals of the same sex as the occupants of the bathrooms or locker rooms. Video surveillance in bathrooms or locker rooms will only be utilized in extreme situations, with extraordinary controls, and only as expressly approved by the superintendent.
B. Use of Videotape
1. Videotapes will be viewed by school district personnel on a random basis and/or when problems have been brought to the attention of the school district.
2. A videotape will be released only in conformance with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 13 and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the rules and/or regulations promulgated thereunder.
Minn. Stat. Ch. 13 (Minnesota Government Data Practices Act)
Minn. Stat. § 121A.585 (Notice of Recording Device)
20 U.S.C. § 1232g (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
34 C.F.R. Secs. 99.1-99.67
School Board Policy 506 (Student Discipline)
School Board Policy 515 (Protection and Privacy of Student Records)
School Board Policy 709 (Student Transportation Safety Policy)
School Board Policy 711 (Videotaping on School Buses)
MSBA Service Manual, Chapter 2, Transportation